Wednesday, July 12, 2006

The boater's garden. Part One.

It all started earlier this year with a bright idea. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to take fresh produce out boating? Well, yes, it would. So, with permission from the chappie who owns the land we are moored on, I started to change some waste land into a vegetable garden. To start with I had to hack my way through weeds that were twice my height - No one was around to take amusing photographs, unfortunately. Then came the digging, the laying of beds, the planting... It was hard work, but fun. And since no one else really helped that much (unless I threatened them with a spade) it also became my own form of meditation.

And now I am harvesting the produce. It seems that EVERYTHING I planted grew. On the otherhand, whatever Rob planted decided not to. So, all he is now allowed to do is dig and water. He knows his place.
Unfortunately, since I sprained my ankle, I've not been able to give the garden as much love and attention as I would like, but I'll soon be back out there pottering around again. I have grand ideas for next season. Crop rotation, an asparagus bed, strawberry beds, gourds and pumkins...
But, back to the present:




There are courgettes, potatoes, tomatoes, garlic, onions, strawberries, aubergines, cucumbers, lettuce (cos and curly leaved varieties), marrows, spinach, peas, runner beans, beetroot, radish, sweet peas, sunflowers, brocolli (sprouting ready for later in the season) herbs such as sage, lavender, thyme, sorrel, oregano, parsley, chives, rosemary, rocket, calendula and so much more.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home