Thursday, July 27, 2006

The Journey Continued...

After all the excitement of the storm we decided to put my parents to work. No rest for the wicked...
We shouted orders at them, such as "HEAVE!" and "PUT MORE WEIGHT INTO IT YOU WUSSES!". Actually, we didn't because my mum would have probably clobbered me one! So, we offered gentle encouragement like "that's right, let the boat into the lock before you close the gate".



I thought it only fair to help out too. So, when we reached the next lift bridge we all stuck our bottoms in the air whilst Rob steered the boat clear - of the bridge, not our bottoms.




As evening descended mist rose from the fields.




By this time, we had managed to tire out my parents, but made them stay awake until midnight for their supper (it took that long to cook it on the bbq).



And we didn’t make them eat any wildlife, such as this crayfish:



The next morning (Sunday), we set off again. We were very close to the Thames and figured if we made good speed we’d be home before night fall. We didn’t realise the number of tree branches that we’d have to navigate around from after the storm, though.



Soon, Oxford’s skyline was in view. We were back in familiar territory and met familiar faces of those we moor with who were out for the day.


Even mum took to the tiller - look, no handed!


And, aside from having to wind our way around a few sail boats and kamikaze punters, we were safely home before dark. Well done to my folks who helped us do the journey in only two days!



5 Comments:

Blogger herhimnbryn said...

Great post, great images. Like reading an engrossing story.
Cheers m'dear.
OBTW, thankyou for adding Secret Hill to your links.

July 27, 2006 10:11 AM  
Blogger valonia said...

Thanks!

Now I can get to secret Hill and read your posts with ease. :)

July 27, 2006 1:56 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Valonia
Came to your blog via Knowley. How jealous am I of your accomodation!! LOL Are you on the Thames in London?

September 11, 2006 8:09 AM  
Blogger valonia said...

Hello Carol.

I am on the Thames but further upstream near Oxford. Less hussle and bustle up here and well away from tidal waters!

September 12, 2006 3:27 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Mmmm Tidal waters. Sadly I do not own a boat (Yet!!) but I would try to avoid those as I am a right wuss!!My hiring company won't let me near tidal waters, so that my excuse!!

September 13, 2006 5:29 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home